Friday, June 17, 2011

Running for Weight Loss

Or rather, for fat loss. For this journey, you're going to have to let go of the number on the scale for a little while. Running is indeed the granddaddy of all cardio, and is an ideal exercise for weight loss - the kind that stays off. However, it is by no means a quick fix.

Hard truth: you're going to gain weight. At first. Now there are those that will say that if you're on the right diet, that won't happen. If it doesn't happen, you're doing something wrong, and you're likely going to hurt yourself.

See, it comes down to a somewhat simple equation. Muscle weighs more than fat. At first, you'll be building muscle faster than you can burn the fat. However, the mere presence of all that muscle will make you a fat-burning machine! Muscle burns fat just by its very existence, so even when you're sleeping, you'll still be burning fat! Little by little, the muscle will stop building and start maintaining. Also little by little, you'll be burning more and more fat.

So at first, you'll gain a little weight (I gained ~ 10 lbs). Then, you'll start losing it again - slowly at first, but then faster. The weird thing is, while you're gaining weight, you'll be losing inches. I swear to you, I had stopped weighing myself (it got too depressing), but I noticed that all my clothes were fitting loose, or not fitting at all, so I excitedly hopped on the scale. Bad idea.

To help things along, be careful what you eat. TONS of veggies and fruit are absolutely essential. But also, eat whole grains a few times a day. Whole-oat oatmeal with raisins makes for a power-packed, run-fueling, fat-burning breakfast. Also, drink copious amounts of water, it helps to flush your system.

I weighed myself this morning for the first time in a couple of months. I was about 3 lbs less than when I started running. But, I'm also 2 pants sizes smaller.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for writing this blog and, more specifically, this post. I just did W2D2 of the C25K this morning and have been using the Calorie Counter program at about.com to track what I eat. My clothes are fitting better and I know I feel better, but the number on the scale has remained stubborn and even climbed up from where I started. I know that muscle gains more than fat and that obviously, that's what's been going on, but logic is the last thing going through your mind when you're standing on that scale and reading a number that is going in the "wrong" direction. It always helps to hear/read similar stories from people going through what you are. it makes that light at the end of the tunnel even brighter. So, thank you for doing that for me! You've definitely made a new follower and a fan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiffany - Welcome, and thank you so much! I do indeed know exactly what you mean! I FREAKED OUT!! My poor husband has the patience of a saint, and had to talk me down more than once. I also know exactly what you mean about logic not meaning much, especially when there is seemingly "conflicting" logic. I mean exercise = lose weight, right? So what the hell?! It took quite a little while for me to find my peace with it...

    ReplyDelete